24 October 2011

Busy Bee!

I have had a busy few days!

Saturday I went up to Tuen Mun to the Immigration Centre because I got a letter from my client (the one who was convicted for poisoning) saying that is where she is and asking about her claims. I brought her some clothes and a few other things, and we figured out a way to ask if she could be released into our custody before she is deported. She still has claims to file against her employer (wages she is due for the last month she worked, travel allowance, her personal belongings) so while her labour case is going on we are hoping she can be released into our custody. We would take responsibility for her until her case is concluded and she can go back home.

After that I went to the house of a couple of my friends, Mark and Kyle, to bake cookies. They live in Yuen Long which is not far from Tuen Mun. I have been itching to bake and since I have no oven they let me borrow theirs. I baked pumpkin bread (according to a recipe my mom gave me) and then we had beer bread and broccoli and cheese soup for dinner. Beer bread is a favorite of mine to make because it's so easy and so yummy! Our friend Becca came over and had dinner with us and then we went swimming in the apartment complex's pool. It was great to spend time with friends but after that long day I was ready to be home!

Sunday afternoon I headed to Victoria Park to teach English to Indonesian migrant workers. This has been in the works for a while but Sunday was the first opportunity I had to make it happen. Apparently 40 people signed up! So we broke the classes up into groups of 13 or so to make it easier. I only taught one class that day but in the coming Sundays I will be teaching two groups. (So, groups A and B will be on one Sunday one class after the other, and groups C and D the next Sunday.) They were all so eager to learn and I was a little nervous because I have never done it before. I have always loved English and when I was younger thought about becoming an English teacher but instead I majored in Global Studies. Now I am really considering becoming an ESL teacher (of either adults or children) and have applied to a few graduate programs back home.

I wasn't sure what their level of English was so I used a lesson I had found online to try and determine how much they already know. We had fun talking about the future, the past, the present, and changing positive sentences to negative ones. I am really looking forward to next Sunday and will be planning out the rest of the lessons for the next few months. I think on the Sunday before Thanksgiving I will have a potluck with them and talk about Thanksgiving in the United States, and possibly have some of my English speaking friends come so they can practice their English.

After a very energizing afternoon I headed back to Central for a candlelight vigil in solidarity with migrant workers seeking the right of abode in Hong Kong. There were many groups present--both migrant groups and groups of local people--who support the right of migrants to have the right of abode.

This morning I went to Tai Chi with my friend Becca. While the class starts at 8 am in Central (and if I end up on the wrong bus I have to hike uphill for about 10 minutes) I find it is a great way to start the day. I always feel so good after class. Our classmates are really sweet and even though most of the time we don't understand each other we have a good time. On Mondays I don't have to be at the Mission until 1pm so we usually have breakfast at The Flying Pan. This morning I thought to try having beans on toast, a typical English breakfast fare. It was pretty good! David (director of mission personnel) would be proud.

So where is God present in all this? I feel him in my relationships with all of these amazing people here. My co-workers, fellow missionaries, friends, the women I am here to serve and random people met on the street. I am so grateful to be here, for all of the generous and kind friends back home who made this possible for me. I meet Christ daily and hope I serve him well. To everyone home and everyone here, thank you for allowing me to be a part of this.

I invite your thoughts, comments, questions, or anything else. (really guys, my comments section is abysmal. I know you're reading, blogger counts the pageviews. :P )

Grace and Peace,
Kathleen

1 comment:

  1. Wow, looks like you are keeping busy. You are doing a good work and I am sure your clients are appreciative and love having you around. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete